Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

Fabio's Pinpoint Forecast: No Bird Migration Today

I'm a little jacked today. And not in a favorable way. I'm pretty sure I'm not quite in harmony with the universe. How could I have just now learned that I can't lend the same book twice on my Nook? I get the whole go-out-and-buy-your-own-damn-book copyright premise behind it and how it's in place to protect the interests of the publisher and authors, and to that I say hot damn with buffalo sauce, but how much does it suck that it still, after all this time, fails to simulate my bibliophile tendencies to share the written word with a hard copy? It makes me cringe that I've traded technological convenience for my lending passion. Books aren't meant to be hoarded unless you have sixteen cats, a bathroom packed with adult diapers and a dolly fetish.

I also ventured outside my writing bubble to edit at Starbucks today and remembered why I don't do that anymore. I adore children, but not when they're racing a Matchbox car up my leg when I'm trying to get the p-e-r-f-e-c-t opening line perfect. And did I mention how the taste of coffee makes me gag? Oops, wrong drink. So perk-ily sorry for $4.05, Miss. I could have funded breakfast for a hungry child in my community for a month for that nip. And the guy next to me found my screen infinitely more exciting to read than his spreadsheets. Creeeepy. Give me my jammy bottoms and kitty paperweights at home any day.

But lest you think this is a Debbie Downer post, I must share with you in rare Jim-Caveziel-Count-of-Monte-Cristo-style goodness that edits are going swimmingly, Fabio as a weatherman makes me laugh and no one has guessed my hero crush for this book. Why does this make me happy? Because my IR (Ideal Reader) exclaimed, "Him? Are you kidding me? He looks like he's on smack!" when she learned of his identity. Some things are best kept secret, though if someone guesses correctly, I shall fess up. I am nothing if not honest.

Be good to each other. Write much. Feed a child in your community. Enjoy Fabio's cold front. And have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

No way I could ever write in public. I'm too distractable by people I guess. Glad the edits are going well.